2015 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School Awards
2015 Oregon Sustainable School Awards
Applications are being accepted now from Oregon K-12 schools and districts!
Apply by January 12th.
Choose from the links to the right to download details and the application.
|Nov 10||Info Call 1: 4pm-4:30pm, details below|
|Nov 18||Info Call 2: 4pm-4:30pm, details below|
|Dec 3||Info Call 3: 4pm-4:30pm, details below|
|Nov 21||Intent-to-apply deadline (encouraged, but not required)|
|Jan 12, 2015||Oregon applications due|
|End of Feb||Announce Oregon award winners|
|April 22||U.S. Dept. of Education announces 2015 Green Ribbon awardees|
|July||Green Ribbon Award ceremony in Washington DC|
A series of calls is planned for those who want more details. It is not necessary to join, though we encourage you to do so for the Nov 18th call which will focus on Pillar 3 – Education.
Info Call 1: November 10, 4pm-4:30pm
Agenda: Welcome from ODE, Quick overview of awards, sharing about the experience from past applicants (Jesuit High School and Willamette High School) plus Q and A.
Info Call 2: Tuesday, November 18th, 4pm-4:30pm
Agenda: Quick overview of awards, tips and info specific to Pillar 3 (Education) from two previous years’ judges plus Q and A.
Info Call 3: Wednesday, December 3, 4pm-4:30pm
Dial: 1-857-232-0300, Access Code: 845538
Formal time to ask any lingering questions you might have.
Oregon’s Sustainable School Awards program offers a set of state awards to public and private K-12 schools based on their progress within four “Pillars” of sustainability:
- Environmental Impacts
- Healthy, Safe Students and Staff
- Education for Sustainability
- Social Sustainability
It also identifies nominees for the U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School (GRS) Program, which recognizes schools and districts across the U.S. for progress within Pillars 1-3. See Green Ribbon School details on the U.S. Department of Education website.
The Sustainable Oregon Schools Initiative (SOSI) and the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) partner to offer these awards in Oregon.
Specifics of each year’s award program and application process are detailed in Part 1 of the application materials.
Any school or district can apply! All public, charter, magnet and private K-12 schools in Oregon are invited to apply. Districts serving more than 1 school are invited to apply for the district award.
2014 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Award winners from Oregon
- Jesuit High School (Portland)
- Willamette High School (Bethel SD)
Press and further info:
Full listing of 2014 Green Ribbon honorees nationally
2014 Oregon Sustainable School Award winners
2014 Oregon Sustainable School Award
- Willamette High School, Bethel School District
2014 Oregon Pillar 1 Award: Environmental Impacts
- Jesuit High School, Portland (application)
2014 Oregon Pillar 2 Award: Healthy, Safe Students & Staff
- Willamette High School, Bethel School District (application)
2014 Oregon Pillar 3 Award: Education for Sustainability
- Trillium Creek Primary, West Linn-Wilsonville School District (application)
Thank you to the 19 topic specialists who helped to score the applications!
2013 Award Winners
2013 Oregon Sustainable School Award:
· Jackson Elementary (Medford School District)
2013 Oregon Pillar 1 Award: Environmental Impacts:
2013 Oregon Pillar 2 Award: Healthy, Safe Students and Staff
· Meriwether Lewis Elementary (Portland Public Schools), co-winner
· Oak Creek Elementary (Lake Oswego School District), co-winner
2013 Oregon Pillar 3 Award: Education for Sustainability: Environmental and Social Literacy
· Jesuit High School (Portland)
2013 Oregon Pillar 4 Award: Social Sustainability
· Jackson Elementary (Medford School District)
U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School Recognition:
No Oregon nominees in 2013.
2012 Award Winners
2012 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School Winners from Oregon
- U.S. Department of Education press release
- List of winning schools and a summmary of their applications
2012 Oregon Sustainable School Award Winners
1st Place 2012 Oregon Sustainable School: Willamina Elementary School, Willamina School District
2nd Place 2012 Oregon Sustainable School: Catlin Gable School, Portland.
Winners within the individual pillars are:
Pillar 1 – Minimizing Environmental Impacts
- Catlin Gabel School, Portland (winner)
- Spencer Butte Middle School, Eugene School District (honorable mention)
Pillar 2 – Supporting Healthy, Safe Students
- Gladstone High School, Gladstone School District (winner)
Pillar 3 – Educating for Sustainability
- Sunnyside Environmental School, Portland Public Schools (winner)
- Jesuit High School, Portland (honorable mention)
Pillar 4 – Social Sustainability
- Willamina Elementary, Willamina School District (winner)
- Rosland Elementary, Bend-LaPine School District (honorable mention)
2015 Application Materials:
Part 2: School Application
Part 2: District Application
Q and A
For further info contact:
Sustainable Oregon Schools Initiative