Sustainability and Jobs
What are Sustainable Jobs?
Sustainable jobs provide rewarding work at a living wage, and include consideration of their relationship to the local and global economy, environment and society.
ALL jobs should be performed sustainably. Forward thinking businesses in all sectors desire employees who not only meet the typical requirements of the job, but who also can think and act for sustainability. That may be what is necessary to be competitive in their job market.
So, a job that supports sustainability could include any of the following, and all are important:
- One that helps others act sustainably
- One that provides sustainability coordination for the employer’s operation
- Any job that integrates sustainability thinking and decisions into its activities.
- Jobs within businesses whose products or services serve our society’s move toward sustainability are often identified as “green jobs”. These include those involved with renewable energy, resource efficiency, toxics and pollution reduction, sustainable landscapes.
Note that the question of whether any particular one of these jobs is in itself performed sustainably is an additional consideration.
Green and Sustainable Career Resources
- The Environmental Careers Organization
- GreenBiz.com Job Listings
- Green For All - Green Collar Job Info
- Stop Dodo - Global Portal for Environmental Jobs and Resumes
- Sustainable Business.com - Green Dream Jobs
- Sightline Institute's catalog for Economy and Jobs, including books, reports, and articles
In the News
Green jobs attract graduates (6/24/11, New York Times)
Green Jobs Sprout All Over (11/15/2009, Los Angeles Times)
4.2 million new 'green' jobs predicted (10/1/2008, Seattle Post-Intelligencer)
Solar Jobs Rising in Oregon (7/22/2008, The Oregonian)
Sustainability and Jobs Right Column